Many streaming platforms including Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu offer a variety of shows and programs in Spanish. This is a great opportunity to practice your listening skills and to improve your vocabulary. Here are some tips that will help you get the most from watching your favorite shows.
1. For original Spanish programs, use original audio and subtitles: it is super frustrating in the beginning but after being consistent with your focus on the language (even if only for 15 minutes a day), you will notice the difference soon.
2. No distractions while watching. Use a timer and try focusing only on the video (no messages, emails, or Facebook to distract you until the timer is up). You will be really proud of yourself once you’re done.
3. Don’t forget about the pause and rewind buttons. It is totally fine to rewatch something you missed more than once and get more comfortable with the language. And it is alright to pause to check some new vocabulary, of course. After you search for the same word 5-6 times in a dictionary, it will get stuck in your head and you will be ready to use it in daily conversations soon.
4. Don’t stress too much if you don’t understand everything that’s happening on the screen. We have all been there; it takes time and practice, and the effort is worth it in the end.
5. Try watching something familiar in a new language. Rewatching your favorite episodes of one of your favorite series in Spanish can be a really good language exercise and confidence booster as you will probably have no problem understanding the jokes and plot twists!